Minutes of the Newark Ramblers Committee Meeting held at Oscar's Inn, Baldertongate on Monday 15 September 2025
Present Alan Burrell Chair
Brigid Murphy Group Secretary
Margaret Shaw Group Treasurer
Chris Small Membership Secretary
Caroline Lee Walks Coordinator
Stephen Swanwick Assistant Walks Coordinator
Dave Johnson Footpaths Officer
Jacqui Anderson Social Secretary
Judy Price Maps Officer
James McGill Area Representative
Peter Robinson Committee Member
Adele Burrell Committee Member
- Apologies
None.
- Minutes of last meeting – matters arising not covered elsewhere on the agenda
James has yet to receive a response from Central Office about insurance for footpath work.
Alan is now authorised to create bank payments.
Caroline has completed data protection training and has access to Newark group volunteer information on the Insight Hub.
- Reports from Officers
Individual reports from officers had been circulated in advance and gave rise to the following points. [Note: Brigid holds the reports and will supply copies on request.]
Margaret asked for any outstanding expenses claims to be submitted as soon as possible for the financial year end on 30 September. The group will be receiving the basic allowance of £294 for next year.
Volunteers are needed to assess the proposed revised route for the Trent Valley Way, Newark group’s portion being the section from Kelham to Collingham. Anyone who can help with this should contact Dave.
On membership issues, some complimentary and much-appreciated emails have been received from people leaving to explain why, as well as from people joining in response to their welcome email. We have also received positive feedback about our group from guest walkers.
Sports Day was a success.
34 people have booked on the Christmas lunch so far. Steve will arrange pre-lunch walks.
Action Points:
Any outstanding expenses claims to be submitted.
Volunteers willing to survey revised Trent Valley Way route to contact Dave.
Steve to arrange pre-walk lunches for 3 December.
- Correspondence
Walk registration on Ramblers App
A walk leader has been in correspondence with Brigid, Caroline and Central Office about the use of the Ramblers App for taking a register of people attending walks, seeing the ability of Central Office to track people’s walking history as an invasion of privacy. It is not a requirement from Ramblers to use this facility, but it has been the policy of Newark group to encourage its use for our walks. Central Office advice is that it is important for walk leaders to know who is on a walk and to have access to walkers’ contact details, using whatever method works best for them and their group. After discussion, Committee decided to continue with the existing policy, but to let walk leaders know that if they don’t wish to submit a register, they can take a written register instead and retain it themselves. Individuals can also let walk leaders know if they do not want to be included on the register submitted to Central Office. Our walkers are already encouraged to carry ICE cards. There are ongoing IT problems with submitting the register on the app, with not infrequent system failures. It would be better if the register could also be submitted via the website, and if there were a facility to advise Central Office of numbers attending walks (so they had this information for campaigning purposes) without providing names.
Action Points:
Caroline to advise in her next email to walk leaders that they can take and retain a written register themselves if they don’t wish to submit a register centrally.
Brigid to contact Central Office about the ongoing problems with the walk register facility on the App.
- AGM November 2025
Payment has been made and confirmation received of the booking for the Council Chamber in Newark Town Hall.
We will not use display boards this year as they were quite difficult to see last year because of lack of space. Instead Nick will be asked to provide a slide show if possible. Walk leaders will be asked for pre AGM walks to start and end in Newark Market Place, but details might not be available until after Brigid sends out the first invitation. A slot for “address from Chair” will be included on the agenda. Margaret and Judy will not be standing for re-election.
Action Points:
Caroline to ask walk leaders for a volunteer to lead walks on the morning of the AGM.
Alan to contact Nick about putting together a slide show.
Brigid to supply Alan with a copy of Joyce’s report from last year.
- Walk Leader Training
18 of our walk leaders have completed the training or self-certificated so far. Caroline has been provided by Central Office with materials for putting on an event for people who would prefer this to doing the on-line training, and she would be willing to lead a session, but to date only two people have expressed an interest in such an event. Caroline will make individual contact with regular walk leaders who have not self-certificated or completed the training. If enough people want a session, she will hold one on Saturday 22 or 29 November from 1pm to 4pm, if possible booking a room at the Buttermarket or the library for the purpose. The email from Ramblers inviting walk leaders to self-certificate was dated 9 July, and anyone who wants to self-certificate will need the link in the email they personally were sent.
Action Points:
Caroline to send individual emails to regular walk leaders who have not yet completed the training.
Caroline to organise training session if there is sufficient interest, seeking help with the organisation from other committee members.
- Ramblers Organisational Restructuring
Alan will be attending the Area meeting on 7 October from Newark group, as James will not be available. James will complete the form Area Secretary has requested with our opinions. A show of hands confirmed committee was unanimous in its broad agreement to the organisational restructuring proposals. The timescales make it difficult to consult more broadly with members, but if possible the restructuring document will be put on the Newark Ramblers website with a note asking anyone particularly interested to contact James by 24 September.
Action Points:
Dave to contact Roger to put the document and note on the website if possible.
James to submit written response to Area, copying Alan in.
- AOB
Newark Ramblers will take part in the Newark Christmas tree festival again this year if invited. Margaret will take the lead with Andrea’s help.
The latest edition of Use Locally contains a Ramblers walk written up by Adele. If we are to contribute to future editions Adele will need volunteers to write up walks.
- Date of next meeting
There are no more meetings before the AGM. The new committee will have a quick discussion immediately after the AGM to arrange the first meeting for 2025-26. In recent years it has proved useful to have a quick introductory meeting in December in addition to the usual January, March, May, July and September dates.
BM
16 Sep. 25
